Monday, June 28, 2010

Cavewoman vs. the modern social gathering

Following a Paleo lifestyle and diet is pretty easy once you get used to it. After the initial "detox" from sugar, salt, and grains, I generally find that the food selection is diverse enough to keep my stomach and my taste buds satisfied, which in turn keeps my mind happy and focused on the task of improving my health.

Despite my success adhering to the "program" most of the time, there are situations in which I almost thoughtlessly revert to my Neolithic eating habits. Not entirely, mind you, and I do give thought to what I'm putting in my mouth before I eat it - Paleo or otherwise. But there are times in social settings where the pull to stray from the "program" is just too strong.

For example, this past weekend, there was a cookout at a coworker's house, and I ate my burger on a bun, had a little piece of cheese, and a little cake. Today after work, I helped a friend move, and our reward was pizza. I had two slices (and I was stuffed!). Do I feel guilty? Not really. While I would've preffered to stay true to Paleo, in these situations, I made a conscious decision to stray, and I made this decision because I knew a) it was a temporary situation, b) I was in a social setting that was designed to be enjoyable (enhanced by tasty food), and, most importantly c) I knew I could control myself and not overindulge.

This last point is was one of the main lessons I've taken from the Paleo lifestyle so far. I'm learning how to make good choices and have self-control. We are bombarded daily with all sorts of opportunities for gluttony, and I spent the better part of 29 years taking advantage of those opportunities without any sort of internal trigger to say "enough."

Now, while the Paleo community would tell me I'm not following the program or that I'm not really "Paleo" because I have the occasional non-Paleo treat, I belive that balance is also important. I don't think it's reasonable to go the rest of my life not being able to enjoy little treats from the modern ago from time to time. I don't intend to have these treats every day or even every week. In fact, I would rather be able to stick to the program 100% of the time -- if only that were feasible to do. I think that there are just times where it's okay to not be the freak caveman diet girl and have a whole grain bun on my hamburger. I'm not saying I'm going to eat five bowls of ice cream and bag of chips at every party I ever go to in my life. With any luck, there will always be a fruit tray, a veggie tray, and some sort of meat that can enjoy while actively participating the social setting in which I am eating. But I don't think it's worth the psychological stress to avoid all non-Paleo foods when the social situation calls for a little flexibility.

Of course, my opinion on this whole thing seems to be evolving, and next week I may very well say that it's all or nothing - that I'm not ever having another hamburger bun again. But right now, I'm feeling a little more realistic. I'm aiming high. I'm succeeding about 93% of the time, and I'm dedicated to the overall purpose of this mission - improving my health - which I don't believe is compromised by the occasional Neolithic food.

No comments:

Post a Comment